Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:24:38 -0400
On 08/08/2011 10:54 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> You and I don't have jobs either; we work at what
> we choose to do, our own way, on our own schedules
> and with whatever tools and materials we choose to
> use.  So I would say that the prognosticators who
> said we would find ways to use our spare time were
> only wrong in what they thought we would do - we
> still work, but at what we choose to do, not at
> what we are compelled to do.
>
> I don't know what Azamat and Ron do for a living,
> but I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same
> kind of thing - whatever they want to do to earn
> what they need, all without steady jobs.
Just for the record:
I have just bought out my partners interest in a small Canadian company
that has been around for 13 years.
I purchased my original interest 11 years ago.
We are a Saba Partner which means that we sell and implement the Saba
Learning Management Systems and other products to US and Canadian
businesses.
We also represent an Indian company that makes a software package that
produces rapid eLearning content for training people on how to use
software applications.
I have to pay the office rent and the staff (4 people currently)
regularly and ensure that there is work and money flowing in.
I also have to pay the various governments and produce the paperwork
that they insist is required.
I am also in my 60's and have worked on my own for 10 years prior to
joining Artifact. Prior to that I worked at various companies and one
government organization (development bank).    (01)

I know that Canadians have a different view of the utility of government
but I am happy to live and work in a large city with an office in downtown.
I can walk anywhere in the city and take public transit to my suburban
residence any time of the day or night.
I can walk the 3 miles from my local pool hall to my home though a low
and medium income area in complete safety since no one's only means of
feeding their kids is robbery.    (02)

Ron