Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 19:54:08 -0700
Dear John,    (01)

You and I don't have jobs either; we work at what
we choose to do, our own way, on our own schedules
and with whatever tools and materials we choose to
use.  So I would say that the prognosticators who
said we would find ways to use our spare time were
only wrong in what they thought we would do - we
still work, but at what we choose to do, not at
what we are compelled to do.      (02)

I don't know what Azamat and Ron do for a living,
but I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same
kind of thing - whatever they want to do to earn
what they need, all without steady jobs.  Many of
us seem to have chosen that if we cared enough to
do so.  Personally, I worked at two jobs for ten
or twelve years before starting a consulting
business, and I have had jobs off and on whenever
the cleptocrats ruin the economy, (Carter!) but it
keeps coming back, and I keep doing businesses
when it does.  I bet the same is true for you and
Azamat and Ron, though you did say you worked at
IBM for a while.  I take it you enjoyed it enough
to stay till retirement, and then decided you
couldn't just watch movies and play shuffleboard
all day long.  At 66, I still don't even know the
rules for shuffleboard.      (03)

Jobs are still available, and they pay well if
they're good jobs, but the ROIs right now don't
favor hiring people - with all the payroll taxes,
employees are too expensive for most business
owners, which is why most businesses are small,
sometimes family owned and family operated.
Consulting and contracting is what we technical
people do when we get tired of having a boss.
It's more fun to please a customer who pays you
better for short engagements than to constantly
please a boss who is harried by paperwork and by
plenty of other employees to place for marginal
profits.      (04)

To paraphrase, the very notion of a job is what I
think is obsolete.  With nearly all productivity
so high, there is no real need to work when you
can have fun, run a business, and make enough
money to be happy doing what you choose.  Of
course, there are people who do take jobs, but
many of them do it because they choose to.  They
want to keep a low profile, limit responsibility,
and concentrate on family, friends and fun.  I
work twelve to sixteen hours a day when I have to
(rarely), but it's only for a short while, and
then I can take days off, even weeks off, and
spend the time however I want - I bet you, Azamat
and Ron do too.      (05)

So I don't foresee riots and entitlements as the
future, I see all of us doing "service" work like
the MDs, attorneys, construction crews, and we
business owner/operators, and so many others today
who prefer to contract our work, not to get a
regular paycheck under duress.  Schools should be
teaching how to entrepreneur, how to negotiate
contracts, how to market and sell instead of all
that political correctness nonsense.      (06)

My dad worked a job for decades, only to be
unjobbed at age 58 when the government decided to
terminate his employer (RCA) from the Cape Kennedy
service contract it had held at 2% profit per year
for decades.  NASA and the Air Force hired a
different company every year from then on to
supposedly manage the work more competitively.
Congress made it do so.  It didn't turn out to
make economic sense of course, but the people who
had jobs at RCA, when old, couldn't get placed in
the new companies (age was grounds for refusal
purposes then), so the government got young people
it had to train to do the job the old guys had
been doing well.      (07)

But who knows?  You may turn out to be right, but
I truly hope not.  My grandkids will live in that
world.  My grandfather was a sheriff in Lamar
County Mississippi, and postmaster of the same
county, while he ran a farm with (believe it or
not) cows, corn and veggies he grew.  Then
Roosevelt screwed up the economy and turned people
of my dad's generation into job holders instead of
business people like they had been working and
living with their families since the Mayflower
landed.      (08)

Our problem today is that the government has
gotten too good at taking away our livelihood and
taxing what they can't take and regulating us out
of work it chooses to reserve for big companies.
If the government did what little it really should
be doing, most people would be able to be self
employed, self directed, and self fulfilling
again.  But only the tea party seems to know that.
Republicans are too busy coddling the big
companies, while Democrats are too busy buying
union votes with union money extracted by force
from union members, and making government jobs
into unions that require the job holders to join.    (09)

But that's been the game for a long, long time.
Those who can do, those who can't run for office.    (010)

-Rich    (011)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com