Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:28:59 -0500
On Aug 8, 2011, at 9:40 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
>> ...it appeared clear to me it's not for nothing that Dunn suggested
>> extending his semantics with a substitutional quantification theory;
>
> Dunn published papers about truth-value semantics and substitutional
> theories for years.  It's one of his main interests.    (01)

Yes, but I wasn't suggesting (as this might be taken to imply) that it was his
*interest* in substitutional theories that led him to suggest a substitutional
quantification theory for extending his semantics.  The claim was that it is
required by the nature of his truth-value semantics.    (02)

>> you can't just tack on a classical QT onto his semantics and go on
>> your merry way the way you can with Kripke semantics.
>
> There is a one-to-one isomorphism between Kripke worlds and Dunn's
> pairs.  Every theorem that applies to one applies to the other.    (03)

This is just not relevant to my point. Your claim here is a fact about two
semantic theories for modal *propositional* logic. MY point was that it is
non-trivial to extend Dunn's semantics for modal propositional logic to a
semantics for full modal predicate logic.    (04)

> Could you please show me anything you can "tack on" to a K model
> that you couldn't "tack on" to a D model with a line-by-line
> translation from one formalism to the other.    (05)

This question seems to miss the point. You *first* have to provide a
quantificational semantics to Dunn's propositional semantics.  Once you do,
there will be an immediate "line-by-line translation". The point is that adding
a classical semantics for quantification to his truth-value semantics is
non-trivial in a way that it is not for Kripke semantics.    (06)

OK, that's enough for this thread. :-)    (07)

-chris    (08)