Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications INare

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 19:20:48 -0500
On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> John,
>
> An engineering model is in no way even remotely similar to a possible world.    (01)

Now there is something we can agree on.    (02)

> A possible world is, for the most part, a fantasy of what might possibly
>happen,    (03)

Well, it was fun while it lasted. There are many different philosophical
theories of possible worlds, on most of which they are definitely not fantasies
-- although there is a *fictionalist* view of possible worlds that might
plausibly give some substance to your "fantasy" idea. But, really, there is a
vast literature here, so it's a bit naive just to baldly assert that a possible
world is or is not this or that, as if it were a fixed, clear, and settled
matter.    (04)

-chris    (05)