Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 21:20:42 -0700
Dear John,    (01)

Well, you have certainly been a prolific, patient
and helpful source of knowledge on these lists for
many years, and I have learned a great deal from
your posts.  But it looks like we simply can't and
won't reach agreement on this issue of
subjectivity in interpretation, and I have reached
a conclusion that I am wasting both our time with
further posts on the subject, so I will cease
raising it here.  I will still follow the list,
but I doubt if I can contribute much more, since I
have a very strong conviction that subjective
construction is the missing ingredient in
ontology.  Nevertheless, thanks for generously
providing so much knowledge, and thanks for your
efforts to enlighten me.      (02)

In particular, I valued your discussions of how
deeply things can be equivalently reexpressed in
plain old FOL, plus modal formulations of it.  I
still think Peirce did not go far enough in
formulating multiple observers, i.e., multiple
viewers of the same sign, each seeing it in
distinct ways, and reaching distinct conclusions,
as we have in this disagreement.  But I certainly
respect the strength of your conviction otherwise.    (03)

Thanks,
-Rich    (04)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper