Re: [ontolog-forum] language vs logic - ambiguity and startingwithdefini

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:23:46 -0400
On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 08:59 -0400, John F. Sowa wrote:
> On 9/21/2010 10:32 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
> > Do you Doug, or others here, actually believe in the existence of
> > objects that are not material? Do you believe that abstract objects
> > exist? What about non-existent objects? There's no shortage of papers
> > that make these claims. Here are two: [1], [2].
>
> Whenever anybody raises such issues, I recommend a short transcript
> of a lecture that Alonzo Church presented at Harvard -- specifically
> for the purpose of annoying Quine:    (01)

Funny, I hope there were constructivists in the audience. Though it
should be noted that Church remained married to the same woman for 50
years!    (02)

http://bit.ly/dqZeki    (03)

BTW - I browsed these two Church references [1], [2] and he uses the
term Concept, not Abstract Object. That's consistent with the argument
I've made for using the triangle to explain extents. Concepts exist in
our minds, objects exist in the world. Abstract Objects do not exist an    (04)

Would you happen to have a reference to a paper that applies the
principle of parsimony to an ontology that includes both concepts and
abstract objects simultaneously?    (05)

--
Rick    (07)