Re: [ontolog-forum] language vs logic - ambiguity and starting with defi

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jerry Hobbs <hobbs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:08:20 -0700
Chris,    (01)

I was rather surprised to see you criticizing Ernie Davis, since he is
probably the best there is in formalizing commonsense knowledge.  His
1990 book "Representations of Commonsense Knowledge" is still probably
the best introduction to the field.    (02)

So I checked out the 6-page note cited.  It is limited in ambition --
it is only a list of common student errors, presumably for use by his
students.  But I didn't see where it is wrong.  I'm curious about what
mistakes you found.    (03)

-- Jerry    (04)

----------------------------------------------------------------------    (05)

On 9/21/2010 1:54 PM, Pavithra wrote:    (06)

 > Here is a Paper on
 > Guide to Expressing Facts in a First-Order Language
 >
 > http://cs.nyu.edu/courses/spring06/G22.2560-001/folguide.pdf    (07)

The syntax used in that document is unusual and the author appears
to be using nonstandard scoping conventions that lead to symbolizations
that are simply wrong with respect to more standard conventions.  Not
recommended.  One would be much better off consulting a standard
introductory logic text than a random, unvetted document downloaded off
the internet.  Wilfrid Hodges's lovely little book Logic is excellent
and inexpensive (http://goo.gl/9E2u).    (08)

Chris Menzel    (09)