Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:51:06 -0400 (EDT)

Pat,

I claim that I can state the following sentences in FOL in a way that is independent of any claims about the nature of  individuals such as Kermit or about persistence, continuants, occurrents, or any similar kinds of theoretical notions.

I  will only assume a geometry that is independent of any notion of individuals that may be entangled in that geometry.  I will also assume that it is possible for some observers to make observations at points in that 4D or 3+1 D geometry.

I won't make any assumptions about how the following relations are actually verified.  I'll just assume that some observers  agree about whether those relations are true or false at the designated points.

In this ontology there are only three types of entities:  points with coordinates p=(x,y,z,t), integers, and character strings.

Monadic relations (or types):

    frog(p),  tadpole(p), egg(p) --  a frog/tadpole/egg is observed at p..

Dyadic naming relation:

   namedEntity(p,s) -- an entity with name s is observed at p.

Note to observers:  The above relations should be considered true iff p is one of possibly many points for which the relation might be true.

Coordinate selector:

   coord(p,n,x)  -- point p has x as coordinate n (for n from 1 to 4)

Translations to CLIF using the above ontology:

>> at t1, Kermit egg.

   (exists (p t1) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (egg p) (coord 4 t1)))

>> at t2, Kermit tadpole

   (exists (p t2) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (tadpole p) (coord 4 t2))).

>> at t3, Kermit frog.

   (exists (p t3) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (frog p) (coord 4 t3)))

I claim that these observations can be used in either a 3D or a 4D theory.  Furthermore, I claim that any predictions made by either of those theories that can be expressed in terms of the above ontology will not conflict with any predictions made by the other theory that are similarly restricted.

John