Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:30:45 -0000
Dear Doug,    (01)

Well assuming reasonable definitions of the relations that looks OK,
however...    (02)

> They do not state that the things named Kermit are the same.
>
> > MW: What I would expect to see is some relation that affirmed this.
> For 3D
> > this would be some identity relation and for 4D this would be a
> temporal
> > whole/part relation. I'm not quite sure how you make a relation
> ambiguous
> > enough that it could be either.
>
> A relation could be defined to express this, but not given a semantics
> in
> the 3D-4D agnostic world.  It would be given different semantics in
> each
> theory.
>

> "Kermit was an egg at t1, a tadpole at t2, and a frog at t3"
> could translate to:
> (exists (p1 p2 p3 e t f)
>   (and
>     (egg e p1)
>     (tadpole t p2)
>     (frog f p3)
>     (coord p1 4 t1)
>     (coord p2 4 t2)
>     (coord p3 4 t3)
>     (viewOf k e t1)
>     (viewOf k t t2)
>     (viewOf k f t3)
>     (namedEntity k "Kermit")))
> with the semantics of "viewOf" being different for 4D and 3+1D
> theories.    (03)

MW: This is not really the kind of thing that it is particularly natural to
say in 4D.  You are far more likely to want to say something like:    (04)

Three states of Kermit are his egg state s1, from t1 to t2, his tadpole
state, s2, from t2 to t3 and his frog state, s3, from t3 to t4.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)