Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:31:24 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

> > RW> Are these ideas sufficiently well-formed that we could start to
> >> talk about the metadata required to support the lattice?
> >
> > The theoretical foundation has been well formed for over 80 years.
> > I've been gathering material from recent discussions on Ontolog Forum
> > for the report that I had hoped to post on my web site last week.
>
> The lattice of theories idea is solid, Of course. But I don't believe
> that your intended application of it to solve the 3D/4D issue is fully
> worked out, and I won't accept that until I see the proposed 'neutral/
> minimal' theory that is supposed to be the lattice intersection of the
> 3D and 4D ontologies. I will bet you a steak dinner that it can't be
> done.    (02)

MW: I had not understood John to be proposing a solution to the 3D/4D issue,
only a framework within which the problem could be managed and minimized. I
think that could be both interesting and useful.    (03)

MW: In any case, there are not only two conflicting theories to reconcile,
but multiple ones each with different sets of commitments, so I agree the
chances of being able to finesse all the possible differences looks remote,
but we do not need to end up with a neat solution, just a feasible one.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (07)