Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:30:08 -0500
Dear Matthew, Doug, and Pat,    (01)

At the bottom of this note is a copy of my note from March 15,
which includes the following passage:    (02)

JFS> Translations to CLIF using the above ontology:
 >
 > at t1, Kermit egg.
 >
 >   (exists (p t1) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (egg p) (coord 4 t1)))
 >
 >  at t2, Kermit tadpole
 >
 >    (exists (p t2) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (tadpole p) (coord 4
t2))).

 > at t3, Kermit frog.
 >
 >   (exists (p t3) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (frog p) (coord 4 t3)))
 >
 > I claim that these observations can be used in either a 3D or a 4D
 > theory.    (03)

MW> Yes, but they are not terribly useful. What I am missing is whether
 > these observations are about the same egg/frogspawn/frog or different
 > ones that just happen to be named Kermit.    (04)

That is indeed a good question.    (05)

MW> What I would expect to see is some relation that affirmed this.    (06)

One approach would be to add another relation with suitable axioms:    (07)

    (uniqueName "Kermit")    (08)

DF> This ontology does not state that only one thing can exist at
 > 4D point p.  Thus the translations from English into the ontology
 > are incomplete.    (09)

I would be happy to add a relation (alias x y) and an axiom:    (010)

    (forall (p x y) (if (and (namedEntity p x) (namedEntity p y))
                        (alias x y) ))    (011)

But I agree that adding another variable e to refer to the named
entity explicitly would also solve the problem:    (012)

DF> Since ternary relations are allowed, making namedEntity()
 > ternary and making egg() binary should solve this problem.
 > Also, t1 is a free variable and should be removed from the
 > existential variable list:
 >   (exists (p e)
 >       (and (namedEntity p e "Kermit")
 >            (egg e p)
 >            (coord p 4 t1)))    (013)

Yes.  That would be a good solution.    (014)

I had tried to keep the ontology simple by not having variables
whose values could not be stated in ordinary language.  In a
database, one could have internal identifiers that are distinct
from the external names.  But I had tried to keep the observational
language free from such theoretical terms.    (015)

However, I agree that such internal identifiers are useful in
a linear logic.  (In a graph logic, they could be avoided by
just linking all the statements to a common node, which would
represent the entity e.)    (016)

MW> [In 4D] You are far more likely to want to say something like:
 >
 > Three states of Kermit are his egg state s1, from t1 to t2, his
 > tadpole state, s2, from t2 to t3 and his frog state, s3, from t3
 > to t4.    (017)

DF> Agreed.  There is a difference between finding a vocabulary that
 > is "natural" to use in both 3D and 4D and a vocabulary that can be
 > given semantics in both 3D and 4D.    (018)

MW> I suspect that there are limits to what it is useful to say in
 > a neutral underspecified way, because you lose the character of the
 > foundation. I would be quite happy to see just a subtype/supertype
 > hierarchy that was underspecified as to whether its members were
 > sets or types. That would already be a big bonus    (019)

Yes.  The general, underspecified theory might not be "natural" in
either a 3D or a 4D way of talking, but it could be extended to a
consistent and "natural" 3D theory or a consistent and "natural"
4D theory.    (020)

John    (021)