Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:40:56 -0000
Dear John    (01)

Well that is more neutral for sure. However, I am not sure that this is what
we (or at least I) and trying to achieve.    (02)

> I realize that I made a poor choice of name for the relation
> (namedEntity p s), which relates points to strings.  My ontology
> didn't have any notion of entity or name, but the term 'namedEntity'
> suggested that I was thinking about names and entities.
>
> Instead, I'll replace that relation with (tag p s), which indicates
> that the observer is tagging points with strings.  The neutral term
> 'tag' avoids any assumptions about why the observer was tagging
> those points.
>
> Following are the three observation statements in my revised ontology:
>
>     (exists (p t1) (and (tag p "Kermit") (egg p) (coord p 4 t1)))
>
>     (exists (p t2) (and (tag p "Kermit") (tadpole p) (coord p 4 t2)))
>
>     (exists (p t3) (and (tag p "Kermit") (frog p) (coord p 4 t3)))
>
> The relations named egg, tadpole, and frog should not be considered
> references to "things" of type egg, tadpole, or frog.  Instead, they
> are merely records of observations about patterns.
>
> For example, the relation (red p) says that a pattern of redness
> is observed at point p.  Similarly, (frog p) merely says that
> a pattern of frogness is observed at point p.  It does not make
> any assumption about the existence of entities of type frog.    (03)

MW: The problem now is that this could just as easily be about 3 different
egg/tadpole/frog as about one. It might just be that I nickname all frogs as
"Kermit".    (04)

MW: What I am looking for is not something that can be interpreted this
widely, but where if indeed the objects referred to are the same frog, when
I add 3D or 4D axioms to the situation (or some other schemes axioms) then I
get something where the mapping between the 3D and 4D interpretation would
be the expected one for them to mean the same thing.    (05)

MW: Otherwise I do not think it is useful.    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (09)