Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:29:21 +0200
John,    (01)

Thanks as usual for your patient and painstaking response.  But my point was a
different one than you addressed here:    (02)

> CS> I'm afraid I have great difficulty in giving any sense to
> > "a pattern of redness" or "a pattern of frogness" without any
> > notion of individual (or entity, for that matter, which you
> > also claimed to have dispensed with in your example of a very
> > simple ontology).
>
> One way to think about a pure observation language is to imagine
> that you're dreaming or looking at a movie screen.  The patterns
> you "see" might be pure illusions that have no connection to
> any physical objects.  The "sense" that you're asking for would
> have to be added by making assumptions about what generates
> those patterns.    (03)

My point was not a scientific or empirical one.  I did not have illusions
versus
"reality" in mind.  My point is an Ontological one.  Let me try again.    (04)

To talk of "a" anything implies some notion and process of individuation (and
of
genericity, but that is a further matter, albeit a very similar and related
one).  It is not that I am unhappy if you don't have Individual qua supertype
as
part of some more abstract base ontology.  Especially in a lattice of theories
optional base ontologies make perfect sense (even though I can't imagine why
anyone would want to do away with this particular case of supertype).  But
there
is an absolutely inescapable assumption in "a" anything - which my simple mind
can only call Ontological as it's *so* basic to our conceptualized knowledge
itself - that it can make sense to abstract individuals out from the raw flux
of
our otherwise unconceptualized or unformed physical or mental experience.
Calling such a "thing" (to attempt a different word for the same concept) "a
pattern of <something>" instead of an "individual <something>" makes no
difference in this context, much though it may be most relevant to showing one
is not fooled by your magician's manipulations.    (05)

So I am not talking of that glib and much-abused notion of "theory-laden
observations" either.  I am finding it impossible to conceive of "a" anything
without a notion of Individual.  It's so basic as to deserve the status of
being
a matter of Ontology, and an absolutely inescapable one at that.    (06)

So perhaps my point is that one must not go overboard in "lattice-ifying" our
most basic ontologies?  Perhaps there is no harm in assuming a wider and still
universally-acceptable degree of commonality?  Wider bases of agreement can
uncomplicate more detailed discussion where it is more important.    (07)

Christopher     (08)

database 4968 (20100323) __________    (09)

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.    (010)

http://www.eset.com    (011)