Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kevin D Keck <KDKeck@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:43:25 -0700
I believe the variety of reification you use as an example (cartesian vs. polar
coordinates) is exactly what is addressed in OWL2 by hasKey axioms:    (01)

R2Point a owl:Class ;
  owl:hasKey ( x y ) ;
  owl:hasKey ( r theta ) .    (02)

The formal semantics of OWL2 restricts the applicability of such axioms to
named individuals out of concerns about tractability, but this technical issue
can at least be worked around, if not someday soon happily resolved.    (03)

Another variety is addressed by property chains.  Consider a property o1:stole
which is elsewhere "reified" as a class o2:Theft with properties (presumably
among others) o2:thief and o2:article; a mapping between them could be asserted
as:    (04)

o1:stole owl:equivalentProperty [owl:propertyChainAxiom (
  [owl:inverseOf o2:thief]
  o2:article ) ] .    (05)

It may be more complicated than this in general, but I think property chains
are adequate to address this general variety of reification.    (06)

Is there another variety of reification which is not addressed by OWL2?    (07)