Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:05:38 -0400
John,
I look forward to the full report (and hope you will continue to post on
the architecture ecosystem).    (01)

One comment, re: Adding a contradiction to any consistent theory causes
it to degenerate to the absurd theory.    (02)

One pragmatic reality of architectural work is that theories do not
agree.  Particularly in the realm of business related modeling there are
clearly different interpretations and opinions about the same thing.  So
we have seemingly conflicting theories but we agree that the theories
describe the same entities that exist or may exist.
Such conflicting theories are normal and even desirable in our
discourse.  One capability that a knowledge technology should be able to
provide is the identification of these conflicts and the source of
assertions and conflicts.  One thing that this requires is the ability
to assert that 2 symbols represent the same entities or concepts, yet
may make very different (and perhaps conflicting) assertions about these
entities.  In the OWL world, sameAs is frequently used for this, but
sameAs seems to strong a commitment.  EquivelentClass is closer, but
even that may have unintended side effects.
In summary, when using ontologies to represent architectures we should
embrace conflict and not consider conflicting theories as absurd.
Conflict is an indication of differing opinions and interpretations,
both normal and expected conditions of dialog.  This differs from the
logical or mathematical pragmatics where any inconsistency is an error.    (03)

Regards,
Cory Casanave    (04)