Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:38:12 -0000
Dear Chris and John,    (01)

> > I would call the "stilted" English of ISO 19526 a "controlled NL",
> which I
> have
> > been recommending for years.  The version in ISO 19526 was written by
> humans,
> > but I would urge them to test it by automated means to verify the
> mapping
> > logic.
> I believe something similar was done (Matthew will know better). As I
> recall
> Ian Bailey (or maybe it was David Price) wrote a program to generate
> the
> automatable text (it is not all automatable) for ISO 15926.     (02)

MW: There are two elements to ISO 15926:    (03)

1. The EXPRESS Language Specification. Most people just see the diagrams and
might think that there is not a computer interpretable form, but EXPRESS is
first a text language, and the EXPRESS-G is just a graphical representation.
Translating this into OWL is however more than just a direct translation of
the EXPRESS into OWL. It is also about how the EXPRESS was used, and how
those usages are best translated into OWL. I believe Johan Kluwer of DNV
worked out the algorithm to do this. I think this is what Chris is referring
to.    (04)

2. The textual definition of the entity types and relationships in the data
model where hand written, but to a mostly regular pattern. I suspect this is
what John is referring to.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)