Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:16:54 -0500
One view that I thought relevent to this conversation, if I understand it,  is the one developed a while ago by Nicola Guarino in  "Formal Ontology and Information Systems". In this he distinguishd a a conceptualization process from a subsequent formalization on that conceptualization with ontological commitments.  Here is the way he presents it:

"Together with Pierdaniele Giaretta, I have discussed such a definition in .. arguing that, in order for it to have some sense, a different, intensional account of the notion of conceptualization has to be introduced. I try here to further clarify these notions, making clear the relationship between an ontology, its intended models, and a conceptualization. The problem with Genesereth and Nilsson’s notion of conceptualization is that it refers to ordinary mathematical relations on D, i.e. extensional relations. These relations reflect a particular state of affairs: for instance, in the blocks world, they may reflect a particular arrangement of blocks on the table. We need instead to focus on the meaning of these relations, independently of a state of affairs: for instance, the meaning of the “above” relation lies in the way it refers to certain couples of blocks according to their spatial arrangement. We need therefore to speak of intensional relations: we shall call them conceptual relations, reserving the simple term “relation” to ordinary mathematical relations."

After a technical discussion, omitted here for the time being, he goes on to say:

" In general, there will be no way to reconstruct the ontological commitment of a language from a set of its intended models, since a model does not necessarily reflect a particular world: in fact, since the relevant relations considered may not be enough to completely characterize a state of affairs, a model may actually describe a situation common to many states of affairs. This means that it is impossible to reconstruct the correspondence between worlds and extensional relations established by the underlying conceptualization. A set of intended models is therefore only a weak characterization of a conceptualization: it just excludes some absurd interpretations, without really describing the “meaning” of the vocabulary."

Gary Berg-Cross,Ph.D.
gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx      http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies