Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:03:09 -0500
Ali,    (01)

JFS>> Another operator is what I call analogy:  taking one theory
 >> and renaming some of the labels (i.e. names of relations, types,
 >> or individuals) to create another theory that is isomorphic with
 >> the first.    (02)

AH> A note about terminology, in our work we called this "conceptual
 > or structural metaphor" (reusing work done by Lakoff 1980,
 > Danesi 2002 and Pinker 2007, creating a lineage and linkages for
 > this idea to other disciplines). More importantly, this "analogy"
 > need not lead to an isomorphism, which leads me to the second point.    (03)

Yes, but that is not the operator I was using for the theories in the
lattice.  For the document I'm preparing, I plan to use the term
'relabeling' instead of 'analogy' because I want to avoid any
confusion with the broader notion of analogy.  The relabeling
operator does indeed convert a theory into an isomorphic theory
with different names for some (or all) of the relations, types,
and individuals.    (04)

I used the term 'analogy operator' in my 2000 book, and I continued
to use it in the dynonto.htm paper.  But in our work at VivoMind,
we are doing much more complex kinds of analogies, and I don't want
to confuse the simple act of relabeling names with the more
complex kinds.    (05)