Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali.hashemi+ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:07:52 -0500
Dear John and Mills,

Here's a summary of a baseline for a further exploration of the issues surrounding such a repository, adapted from (Hashemi 2008) - go to http://reseed.ca/ali it is the 3rd file, entitled: " Hashemi - Ontology Repository as a Community.pdf " ) or follow this link: http://reseed.ca/Ali/docs/Hashemi%20-%20Ontology%20Repository%20as%20a%20Community.pdf

John,

I'm glad we're in accord. I think it is important to separate the repository component of such a project from the services that wrap around it. I agree that people should be able to use whatever notation / syntax / dialect they prefer though have a requisite that before inclusion in the repository, they be mapped to CL.

We really want a curated repository as well, where we can have a "wild west" section, and another where the contents have been verified. Setting up a mechanism to address these concerns is important. Points 3-6 that you raise seem to fall more in the services category (mapping translating external representations in, providing tools for browsing etc.). While very important, I think it would help to delineate the tasks that these objectives generate.

It will be useful to discuss these issues at the summit. Though many of these points have also been already raised in earlier meetings of OOR.

Mills,

See comments inline.