Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:17:38 -0500
Adrian Walker wrote:
> Hi Kinglsey,
>
> You wrote:
>
> /When I perform queries or view data in my own data space, I can enable
> my own inference context via a set of rules associated with the
> underlying queries that drive my data views.  Of course, someone else
> could stumble across my data and choose to do so without enforcement of
> my world view etc../
>
> Yes to that.  However, except for small academic examples, it would be
> essential to have explanations of query results, at a level that end
> users could understand.  And that should not depend on the authors
> accurately documenting what they have done.  As in other endeavors,
> the comments often lag behind the data and the code.
>
> One way to do this, is with the technology online at the site below,
> in which documentation=code.
>
>                       Cheers,  -- Adrian
Adrian,    (01)

Why couldn't I, via combination of terms from Provenance oriented
vocabularies, describe my position about the accuracy (or lack thereof)
of my results via associated annotations? Or use a combination of the
aforementioned and comments?    (02)

Anyway, I need to go look at your stuff, the "SQL" and "RDF" references
have certainly reignited my interest :-)    (03)

Kingsley

> [...]
>     >>     ontologies can have options for highlighting or suppressing
>     >>     some of the options.
>     >>
>     >>  3. UML diagrams and controlled natural languages (CNLs) have also
>     >>     been translated to Common Logic, and many users have found them
>     >>     to be much more readable than CLIF and other notations used
>     >>     for logic.  The SUMO developers, for example, use controlled
>     >>     English for comments that can be automatically translated
>     to KIF.
>     >>     Such notations should not only be supported, they should be
>     >>     encouraged.
>     >>
>     >>  4. Many important ontologies that could be converted to CL have
>     >>     not yet been converted.  SUMO, for example, was written in KIF,
>     >>     which is a predecessor to CLIF.  Most statements in KIF can be
>     >>     converted to CLIF with little or no change.  But a few rarely
>     >>     used features of KIF must be checked for compatibility.
>     >>
>     >>  5. The CycL language used for Cyc can mostly be converted to CL
>     >>     with little or no change.  But the full CycL language uses
>     >>     metalevel features that require the IKL extensions to CL.
>     >>     We should consider broadening the scope to include IKL.
>     >>
>     >>  6. Some of the diagrams in those that show relationships among
>     >>     theories can be enhanced or redrawn to show the relationships
>     >>     to the lattice of theories.
>     >>
>     >>  7. The limitation of OOR to just the notations currently
>     >>     supported by Protege is untenable.  OOR must support full
>     >>     CL and even IKL.  The Protege tools should be extended
>     >>     or combined with tools that support those languages.
>     >>
>     >> Point #7 is critical.  The Semantic Web includes an important
>     >> collection of technologies, which must be supported.  But they
>     >> have already moved beyond RDFS and OWL by including Horn-clause
>     >> logics.  Furthermore, relational databases still support the
>     >> world economy, and the constraints and queries used for RDBs
>     >> are written in full first-order logic.  The EXPRESS language,
>     >> which Matthew and others have been using, also requires full
>     >> FOL.  And Cyc, the biggest formal ontology on earth, uses a
>     >> superset of FOL.  The OOR *must* support these systems.
>     >>
>     >> I am currently writing a report based on excerpts from recent
>     >> email notes to Ontolog Forum that elaborate these points.
>     >> I'll post a first draft by this weekend.  Next week, we can
>     >> discuss further modifications and updates on Ontolog Forum,
>     >> and I'll post a new version of the report by March 12th.
>     >>
>     >> After the Ontology Summit at NIST on March 16th, we can
>     >> discuss that report and other related issues in the session

Regards,    (06)

Kingsley Idehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software