Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 18:47:42 -0500
On a comment by Matthew West:

[Pat Hayes] > > So even apart from
> > the fact that we all disagree, and even allowing for the fact that we
> > are talking about intentions, I still think Pat C is wrong :-)
>
> [MW] > Well sure, but so are you and so am I.
>
> However, I do think there is a way forward, that will, at worst,
> produce some evidence that will allow us to make a better attempt another
time.

    Yes, that is the point. We had the ANSI X3T2 effort at an upper
ontology, and the IEEE-SUO effort, and neither of those resulted in an
ontology that is widely used for interoperability purposes.  ISO15926
demonstrates that the problems can be resolved for at least some
communities.  The FO project builds on those experiences by funding a larger
community to participate directly, and by emphasizing the need to test the
FO in practical applications.  The suggested methodology is also different,
allowing multiple logically consistent viewpoints to maximize the usability
for different communities.
    It is possible that even by that method, the FO thus developed will not
become widely used enough to serve its intended purpose, but I think we are
guaranteed to learn very valuable lessons from the effort, and I feel
certain that much of the effort will be reusable even if not as the
principle FO.  Even if one is skeptical of the $100 billion per year cost of
non-interoperability, any reasonable estimate would indicate that the cost
of not trying to develop more general and accurate interoperability has been
and will continue to be larger than the cost of trying to solve the problem,
by every plausible tactic available.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416