Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:09:59 -0000
Dear PatC,    (01)

I'm afraid this does not work.    (02)

> > > MW: What I would expect to see is some relation that affirmed this.
> > For 3D this would be some identity relation and for 4D this would be
> > temporal whole/part relation. I'm not quite sure how you make a
> relation
> > ambiguous enough that it could be either.
> >
> > A relation could be defined to express this, but not given a
> semantics
> > in the 3D-4D agnostic world.  It would be given different semantics
> in
> > each theory.
> >

> I am unclear why not.  If you define a relation:
> "isTheSameIndividualAs" it
> could
> Relate a particular instance of endurant at all times, and also relate
> all
> time slices of a 4D object.  What problem do you see?    (03)

MW: In 4D they are not the same individual. In fact you have 4 individuals,
the egg state, the tadpole state the frog state and the whole life of the
egg/tadpole/frog. The relation that links them is temporal whole part, where
the states are temporal parts of the whole life object. This is very
different from being the same individual.    (04)

> Pat
>
> PS - Pat Hayes has already (in this forum) presented a set of axioms
> relating 3D and 4D objects - is this discussion due to some inadequacy
> of
> that formulation?    (05)

MW: This is a different approach trying to follow the idea of an
underspecified ontology to which 3D and 4D (and other) flavours can be
added. PatH's approach was a mapping between the native approaches. I think
the under specification may have value where it results in something that
seems natural natively in either dialect, but not where it does not, and I
think working with individuals is a place where it does not work very well.    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (09)