Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:41:53 -0000 (GMT)
Matthew West wrote:    (01)

> This falls short for me.    (02)

> Translations to CLIF using the above ontology:    (03)

>> at t1, Kermit egg.
>
>>    (exists (p t1) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (egg p) (coord 4 t1)))
>
>> at t2, Kermit tadpole
>
>>    (exists (p t2) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (tadpole p) (coord 4
> t2))).
>
>> at t3, Kermit frog.
>
>>    (exists (p t3) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (frog p) (coord 4 t3)))
>
>> I claim that these observations can be used in either a 3D or a 4D
t>heory.
>> Furthermore, I claim that any predictions made by either of those
t>heories
>> that can be expressed in terms of the above ontology will not conflict
>> with
>> any predictions made by the other theory that are similarly restricted.    (04)

> MW: Yes, but they are not terribly useful. What I am missing is whether
> these observations are about the same  egg/frogspawn/frog or different
> ones that just happen to be named Kermit.    (05)

They do not state that the things named Kermit are the same.    (06)

> MW: What I would expect to see is some relation that affirmed this. For 3D
> this would be some identity relation and for 4D this would be a temporal
> whole/part relation. I'm not quite sure how you make a relation ambiguous
> enough that it could be either.    (07)

A relation could be defined to express this, but not given a semantics in
the 3D-4D agnostic world.  It would be given different semantics in each
theory.    (08)

"Kermit was an egg at t1, a tadpole at t2, and a frog at t3"
could translate to:
(exists (p1 p2 p3 e t f)
  (and
    (egg e p1)
    (tadpole t p2)
    (frog f p3)
    (coord p1 4 t1)
    (coord p2 4 t2)
    (coord p3 4 t3)
    (viewOf k e t1)
    (viewOf k t t2)
    (viewOf k f t3)
    (namedEntity k "Kermit")))
with the semantics of "viewOf" being different for 4D and 3+1D theories.    (09)

-- doug    (010)

> Regards
>

> Matthew West
>
> Information  Junction
>
> Tel: +44 560 302 3685
>
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
>
>  <mailto:matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>  <http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/>
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
>
>  <http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>

> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
>
> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.
>

> John

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (012)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.