Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:27:39 -0000

Dear John,

This falls short for me.

Translations to CLIF using the above ontology:

>> at t1, Kermit egg.

   (exists (p t1) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (egg p) (coord 4 t1)))

>> at t2, Kermit tadpole

   (exists (p t2) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (tadpole p) (coord 4 t2))).

>> at t3, Kermit frog.

   (exists (p t3) (and (namedEntity p "Kermit") (frog p) (coord 4 t3)))

I claim that these observations can be used in either a 3D or a 4D theory.  Furthermore, I claim that any predictions made by either of those theories that can be expressed in terms of the above ontology will not conflict with any predictions made by the other theory that are similarly restricted.

MW: Yes, but they are not terribly useful. What I am missing is whether these observations are about the same  egg/frogspawn/frog or different ones that just happen to be named Kermit.

MW: What I would expect to see is some relation that affirmed this. For 3D this would be some identity relation and for 4D this would be a temporal whole/part relation. I’m not quite sure how you make a relation ambiguous enough that it could be either.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 560 302 3685

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

John