Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:17:40 -0000 (GMT)
Matthew West wrote:    (01)

doug foxvog wrote:
>> We were discussing a theory-neutral semantics for describing that an
>> individual is an instance of a class at a specific time.  MW says
>> it is more natural (in 4D) to state the start and end times for that
>> individual's class membership. However, the information for that may
>> not be available.    (03)

>> Consider if the statements below refer to observations from a grade
>> school
>> science project.  The student names her frog egg "Kermit" and on Friday
>> records that it is an egg.  On Monday, she records that it is a
>> tadpole.
>> She goes on a field trip for the rest of the week.  The next Monday,
>> she
>> records that Kermit is a frog.    (04)

>> The statements below express the student's findings.  We are ignoring
>> if she details the spatial coordinates of p1, p2, or p3.  It is
>> possible,
>> even in a 4D world to have only 3 temporally defined observations to
>> record.    (05)

> MW: Yes indeed. But the 4D statements I would want to make are that the
> first observation was made during the egg state, the second during the
> tadpole state, and the third during the frog state. I can also say that
> there were events that were the start of the egg state, the transformation
> from the egg state to the tadpole state, the transformation from the
> tadpole
> state to the frog state, and that at some time the frog will die. All I do
> not know are the times of those events, however what I say above can be
> inferred from the students findings.    (06)

>From the information given and rules about living things in a 4D theory,
all of these can be concluded.  They do not have to be stated using the
underspecified F0 ontology.    (07)

> MW: I suspect that there are limits to what it is useful to say in a
> neutral
> underspecified way, because you lose the character of the foundation. I
> would be quite happy to see just a subtype/supertype hierarchy that was
> underspecified as to whether its members were sets or types. That would
> already be a big bonus.    (08)

Rules in the 4D theory could conclude that types are sets.    (09)

-- doug f    (010)

> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Information  Junction
> Tel: +44 560 302 3685
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>
> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (011)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (012)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.