Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:50:22 -0500
I just have to respond immediately to one comment that John made:    (01)

[JS]> > What motivated my last note were your implications that Pat Hayes
> didn't know what he was talking about.   I'm sure that you realize
> that he has a very strong background in the field, and any such
> implications were inappropriate.

That was not in any way implied by what I have said.  Of course I have the
greatest respect for Pat Hayes, not just for his multiple past
accomplishments but for his continuing contributions to automated reasoning
and its applications. Indeed I take as virtually certain everything he says
about logic, reasoning and math.  That's why I quote him whenever
appropriate.    (02)

But on occasion PatH's comments seem to be at variance with what he has said
before, in which case I need to get additional clarification.  And on
occasion I phrase my puzzlement in somewhat jocular phraseology.  I don't
believe that PatH has taken any of this as disrespectful - I haven't noticed
any offense taken.    (03)

My big problem is that PatH clearly has an intuitive feeling that the FO
tactic won't work, but I have had some difficulty finding any technical
reasons in his comments that argue against the proposal, which leaves me
thinking that this is just an intuitive gut feeling on his part, which could
derive from any of many reasons, not related to technical feasibility.   The
one technical point he has made recently is about the meanings of ontology
elements changing as new axioms are added.  I don't question that this is
true as far as mathematical interpretations are concerned.  I do question
that users of an ontology will *want* the meanings of their already-defined
ontology elements to change as new elements are added.  But PatH has said
(it seems) that this is what he wants.  I will be eager for clarification.
And, importantly this is only significant if indeed the FO does change.
That's why I think an FO project should strive to make the FO (not the
domain ontologies)  as complete as possible at the earliest possible point,
so that changes, if they are needed, will be rare.    (04)

PatC    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416