Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "sean barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:16:11 -0000
> If we define a concept C, which is defined using an axiom Q, and replace Q
> with an axiom P such that Q implies P but not vice versa (P is "stronger
> than" Q), then any process that had Q as a post-condition may produce invalid
> answers.    (01)

Niggling point: You are turning around the usual understandings of "stronger"
and "weaker".  If Q implies P (Q=>P) but not vice versa, then Q is stronger
than P and P weaker than Q.  Thought of model theoretically, Q has fewer models
and hence "says more" than P.    (02)

Less niggling point: Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you have in mind by an
"answer", but if post-condition Q of a process A is replaced by an axiom P such
that Q=>P but not vice versa, then every "answer" generated through the use of
P rather than Q could have been generated by the use of Q.  So if the use of P
produces invalid answers, so does the use of Q.  Seems to me the danger in
question arises only if you replace Q with an axiom R such that R=>Q but not
vice versa.  For then the possibility arises of new answers that could not be
generated through the use of Q -- answers that are perhaps "invalid" in some
relevant sense.    (03)

> If we replace Q with a weaker axiom R, such that R implies Q but not vice
> versa, then any process which uses Q as a precondition can no be used, as
> the preconditions may be violated.    (04)

Parallel comments here.    (05)

Chris Menzel