[ontolog-forum] Mailing list etiquette

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:02:52 -0600
On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Jack Park wrote:
> I interpret 10-lines to really entail this thought: one subject/topic
> per email message. Not mashups, as we presently see frequently. Keep
> the "Subject" line fresh--a dictum I am violating simply for purposes
> of illustrating the point.    (01)

I think the mashups we've been seeing, esp. from John Sowa, are an attempt to
adhere to the (also arbitrary) one post per day rule.  I appreciated John's
effort but I myself, like you it appears, would prefer multiple posts on
different topics than a lengthy mashup, since it is too much effort to sift
through the mashup if you're only interested in one topic.    (02)

<soapbox>
One practice that is to my mind inexcusable on a mailing list (which you also
nicely illustrated to make the point) is to top-post in response to a point or
two in a message and then leave the entire message (often complete with earlier
top-posted replies of its own) containing those points hanging unedited at the
bottom of one's own contribution.  It is frankly rude to force one's readers to
look through all of that cruft to figure out for themselves what one is
responding to -- not to mention the fact that it is simply not in one's
interest to do so, as top-posting can easily lead to errors of interpretation.
It takes very little effort to edit out the irrelevant parts of a message and
interleave one's comments into the relevant bits that remain so that one's post
actually takes the form of a coherent conversation.
</soapbox>    (03)

-chris    (04)