Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:17:58 -0500
John,
  None of the factors you mention is direct evidence against the utility of
the FO.  They can be viewed at best as analogical evidence, in the same way
that the Longman defining vocabulary, the Chinese character system, or
AMESLAN can be viewed as analogical evidence *for* the semantic primitives.
And I think the linguistic analogies I use are a lot closer than the others
you cite.  And as for the senses for Longman defining words, I have gone
over this several times: Guo's work shows that fewer than 2 senses per word
are used in the definitions (on average), and this is consistent with the
recognition of "defining words so that anyone can understand the
definitions" as one of the "Language Games" that force the use of only the
most common and well-understood senses.  But *direct* evidence can only be
obtained by testing the actual process of creating an FO and testing it
directly for its ability to support general semantic interoperability.    (01)

   Funny thing you should mention Leibniz: he was the one who proposed
creation of a "characteristica universalis", a set of symbols in which
concepts would be precisely represented by symbols so that precise reasoning
can be done.  I will quote from my handy "Leibniz Selections" by Wiener:
   [Leibniz: from 'Preface to the General Science' (1677)]: <quote>Whence it
is manifest that if we could find characters or signs appropriate for
expressing all our thoughts as definitely and as exactly as arithmetic
expresses numbers or geometric analysis expresses lines, we could in all
subjects <it>insofar as they are amenable to reasoning</it> accomplish what
is done in arithmetic and geometry.
   For all inquiries which depend on reasoning would be performed by the
transposition of characters and by a kind of calculus, which would
immediately facilitate the discovery of beautiful results.  For we should
not have to break our heads as much as is necessary today, and yet we should
be sure of accomplishing everything the given facts allow.
   Moreover we should be able to convince the world what we should have
found or concluded, since it would be easy to verify the calculation either
by doing it over or by trying tests similar to that of casting our nines in
arithmetic.  And if someone should doubt my results, I should say to him:
"Let us calculate, Sir,"  and thus by taking to pen and ink, we should soon
settle the question.
   I still add: <it>in so far as the reasoning allows on the given
facts</it>.  For although certain experiments are always necessary to serve
as a basis for reasoning, nevertheless, once these experiments are given we
should derive from them everything that anyone at all could possibly derive
. . .</quote>    (02)

   I don't doubt that Leibniz would also say that ' only an infinite being
such as God could take all possible details into account.", and I would say
exactly the same thing.  That is quite different from saying that one can
reason accurately with the knowledge one does have, and communicate it
accurately to other reasoners.  Both Leibniz and I believe that accurate
reasoning is possible for the broad range of topics of interest to people,
based on symbols whose meanings are precisely specified, and we both know
that no representation of the real world can be fully complete.  It just has
to be complete enough for our practical purposes.  There is a difference -
Leibniz seemed to think that people could perform these logical calculations
but I don't - I think that only computers will be able to handle the long
chains of inference that are sometimes required and keep the meanings of all
symbols straight (in a practical amount of time).  We don't have access to
the detailed neural structures that people use, but we do have access to the
detailed structures that computers use.  I am suggesting that we take
advantage of our knowledge of the details of *computer* reasoning to
accomplish what Leibniz could not with the tools available to him back then.    (03)

   I think it is revealing that you quote Leibniz to suggest that he
believes something he manifestly does not believe.  This indicates to me
that you are really, really stretching to find something, anything that you
can cite as "evidence" against the FO principle.  What it does is reinforce
my conviction that there is no meaningful evidence against the FO, just some
gut feelings on the part of some individuals.    (04)

As for: [JS]: >  The claim that an FO must be perfect at release 1.0 is just
> one more proof that it is a hopelessly unrealistic fantasy.

  That is not my claim, and I disagree that it must be perfect in order to
perform vastly better than alternative methods to achieve interoperability.
You could make the same argument against mapping ontologies.    (05)

   You keep citing what has been done in the past.  It has been done that
way precisely because there has not been any FO and there was therefore no
alternative.  The potential for creating an FO has only recently (in the
past 15 years) become realistic, and in that time no effort of the kind I
have suggested has been undertaken.  It's time to try the most direct route
to solve the general problem.    (06)

Pat    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.