Re: [ontolog-forum] Mailing list etiquette

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:16:45 -0600
>> [CM] top-post ...
>
> [ppy] I do top-posting too, but in a way that what needs to be read is
>available as the first thing on the message, with proper context ... and then
>the original thread left at the bottom as a reference and further contextual
>information (so that people don't really have to look around, or go to the
>archives for them.) I know this is a bit wasteful ... but storage and other
>technology has pretty much provided us with the luxury now.    (01)

Peter,     (02)

I agree that *careful* top-posting to retain important context can indeed
occasionally be the best way to reply to some messages.  Notably, more general
reflections on a given exchange might well work better if top-posted.    (03)

> May I, instead, ask posters to think of your readers more, when making your
>post ... and that (if considered a rule at all) might already suffice.    (04)

Probably as good a general rule as any!    (05)

-chris    (06)