Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:15:56 -0500
Christopher Menzel wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Once more a message of more than 10 lines.
>>
>> Can you guys actually assert that you are in the process of reaching a
>> consensus on this or are we just working our way through year 2 of the SOS.
>>
>> I withdraw my complaint if either side can provide an example of where
>> this discussion has changed their view of the universe.
>>
>> Perhaps if you started to work on a joint document on the way to move
>> forward, we might start making progress.
>>

> A mailing list is a medium for a conversation.  As in conversations, some
>parties can drone on and the same points can often be repeated.  If the nature
>of the conversation here isn't to your liking, unsubscribe.  I doubt there is
>anything approaching consensus on your arbitrarily imposed 10 line limit and I
>for one think it is a bad idea.

Unfortunately according to Peter a lot of people are unsubscribing and
it often appears that the same old arguments are being repeated in new
words.    (01)

The 10 line limit is a bit of a leg pull but gives voice to 2 different
issues.
1) There are some interesting and perhaps important ideas being written
about in what sometimes appear to be well thought out messages that are
not being preserved in a more formal (wiki as formal???) and
consolidated way.
2) There is a lot of long messages that are simply rehashes of
previously held positions that have not changed in several years and are
often just picking at small cracks in another long argument.    (02)

Some days I do feel like unsubscribing but often there are some
interesting things said where I do feel that I have learned something.
Perhaps my expectation that this forum is supposed to be about
progressing is misplaced and there is another forum where I would be
more comfortable with the sense of direction and achievement.    (03)

In the meantime, don't let my 10 line comments hinder your expression of
ideas specially if they are new ideas.    (04)

Ron    (05)