Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologiesassocialmediators(was:Ontologydevelopment

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "FERENC KOVACS" <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:27:49 -0000
As part of my synching exercise with Chris:

The repertories of knowledge representations are morphologically sorted (organized). Other ways of srtucutring include works of authorship whose ideas may be accessed trhough the author. Most of such artefacts heavily rerly on ciations on works similarly structured, yet in storing such items we use keywords, indices, tag clouds and now ontologies.
Thesuri are an exception as they employ numeric identifiers as well which comes handy fopr making multilingual dictionaries.
In roder to be able to agree on any piece of knowledge we must establish the identity of the subject of discourse and align our own concepts against each other.
Such an alignment is not possible by using object, properties and relations and events as identifiers. Even if we agree that a concept is an objectand an object is a totality of propeerties and a list of real life items displaying/materialising those properties (usually also used as examples). These lists must be open as they grow with the advance of learning.
if anyone is familiar with Term Banks then he/she can bring in as an example of the scores of data fields associated and recorded in connection with a single term! That would be horror for a lay community.And even unsatisfactory. Why?
Because  the process of increasing our knowledge is not recorded, the path is important for the individual and the community. resolution rather than controversion is required. But from the very beginning of schooling we pass on knowledge in school subject frames without harmonizing definitions or cross-referencing. Today you have concordance programs and it would be a simple job to find out any inconsistencies in usage, adpect or approach.
Therefore the representation of knowledge should not be static as in abstract networks, but dynamic, thus procedural, which means  that time and space must be included in an ontology together with verbs that represent realtions at a better detail (for the sake of identification) than the current relations you know well enough are insufficient.
pardon me for my fluster
ferenc