Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies as social mediators

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:48:17 -0000 (GMT)

Ferenc wrote:

> ... I have been trying to visualize the
> condition where objects, properties and relations change theri character
> and they become one of the other two as a result of mental operations.
> ... So jsut a few examples
> One of these operations is abstraction
> that helps you see the properties of an object and create a list of such
> properties.
> Then by taking one of those properties as an OBJECT, you can go on to
> define another set of properties.    (01)

This is quite valid.  The issue of "chang[ing] their character" arises from
the limitations of first order logic.  Computational complexity becomes
greater when describing properties of properties and reasoning about them.
In higher-order logic, one can treat relations, classes, and statements
"relation instances", and instances of classes and make statements about
them using relations which accept such classes.  The Cyc reasoner has been
doing this since at least the mid-1990s.    (02)

Adrian, below, addresses another issue: rules can be defined to conclude
class membership and new statements based on other statements.  This can
include rules reaching conclusions based on data in database tables.  This
is broader than defining a "concept ... by reference to its properties or
by reference to its instances."    (03)

-- doug    (04)

> Ferenc

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (06)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.