Re: [ontolog-forum] Last Call: OWL 2 and rdf:text primitive datatype

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 17:06:03 +0100
Alan

I am sorry I have not had time to review these documents, but I am intersted, in particular in the following issues, if you could provide some quick pointers, as I am encoding (well, attempting to learn how to encode) disparate vocabularies into RDF

I also dont seem to get straight answers as different people seem to interpret the specs differently or at least have different ideas

problem:

assume that I need to match a set of vocabularies, where the usual semantic gap  occurr

- some words are common to all vocabularies and point to the same meaning/concept (thats the easy same as)
- some words are different but point to a shared concept
- some words are the same, but point to different concepts etcetera
and so on, various combinations thereof

afer an analysis of the terms, it seems that most such intersections/relations can be captured by standard
lexical relations (briefly discussed on this list already)

I recently questioned some peers as to how would I best represent such lexon intersections in RDF
and I was told to use owl same_as , and this would definitely work for synonyms, but not for
antonyms, meronims etc etc

while I hope to set aside time to study OWL spec, could you tell me if it supports all kind of lexical relations, only some?
Or does it take into account only logical relations? I would be happy to review the relevant documents as soon as I can

thanks in advance

PDM