Re: [ontolog-forum] Last Call: OWL 2 and rdf:text primitive datatype

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:15:48 +0100
Dear Mike,    (01)

> I see that the OWL 2 spec states that "/Classes/ can be understood as
> sets of individuals."
>
> I seem to recall that in OWL1, a Class could be understood both as
> extensional (a set of individuals) and intensional (a class has a
> collection of properties which would define the members of the set,
> i.e.
> all individuals which have those properties are seen as members of that
> set - so still effectively a set of individuals, but arived at
> differently).
>
> Am I right in assuming that the existence of properties and axioms
> provides for intensional definition of classes, so that OWL2 supports
> both? I guess I'm stating the obvious there, and the document on
> semantics would seem to bear this out. However, that does mean that OWL
> Class maps to both intensional Type and extensional Set. Or am I
> missing
> something?    (02)

[MW] It depends.    (03)

If I ask you "How many humans are there?" and your answer is in the order of
6.7 billion, and a few years later I ask the same question and you say 6.8
billion, then you were not talking about a set.    (04)

On the other hand, if your response is that you can't tell me that, but that
the set alive today is 6.7 billion, but that the set of all humans includes
all those that have lived and all  those yet to live, and you can't give a
number for that - then you are talking about sets.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)