Re: [ontolog-forum] Last Call: OWL 2 and rdf:text primitive datatype

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:58:16 -0400
Dick,    (01)

I certainly did not forget the word 'concept'.  I use it constantly
for my conceptual graphs.    (02)

RHM> Don't forget the word 'concept', as used in natural language.
 > The Rand ITOE 1990 book is a good reference for concept-related
 > terminology.  Rand terminology is based on Aristotle.
 > My tabula rasa terminology is based on Rand.    (03)

Unfortunately, the word 'concept' is so highly ambiguous, that I
abandoned all hope of giving it a single, uniform definition that
would cover all the informal and formal usage for the past several
millennia.    (04)

For conceptual graphs, I have a precise technical definition of the
word 'concept':  one of two kinds of nodes in a conceptual graph.
That is the *only* definition that I use in all my publications.    (05)

Then I show how conceptual graphs are used in a variety of ways
to represent sentences in natural languages and formal languages.    (06)

Suggestion:  It's fine to use your favorite philosophy as a guide
toward making design decisions, but the formal definitions should
be as independent as possible of the philosophy that inspired you.
You can talk about that philosophy in the informal commentary,
but I recommend that you keep it out of the formalism.    (07)