Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:30:19 +0200
"Formal Ontology is the formal study of Reality".
<That is the definition of ontology, the philosophical field.>
As part of philosophy, it is "the study of reality", while formal ontology
means [rigorous, exact, mathematical, logical or scientific] study of
reality, its features, structure and meanings.
<When the  word is used in this (original) sense, the construction "an
ontology"  is ungrammatical>.
In a sense, you are correct. But an ontology is a regional ontology.
<The sense of "ontology" agreed to in this forum  dates back less than two
decades, and has its origin in AI, not
philosophy. >
IMO, Here is the roots of all sorts of confusion which is necessary to
avoid.
<While the two senses are related, its important not to get them confused
with one another.>
There is a hierarchy of senses: basic meaning of ontology and applied,
derivative senses, like ontologies.
Who still doubts, there is an easily accessible article of Smith: "Ontology
as Reality Representation" ontology.buffalo.edu/bfo/BeyondConcepts.pdf . For
deeper study, the book on "Reality, Universal Ontology and Knowledge
Systems"    (01)

Azamat  Abdoullaev    (02)