Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:27:11 -0600

On Jan 29, 2009, at 2:11 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:    (01)

> From the point of view of having something that can be put in front of
> domain experts for review, I would rather have a ternary relation than
> the mathematical solution to the problem of reducing it to binary
> relations. It's one thing, as John says, that OWL falls down on.    (02)

I don't think this is a very productive argument to be having, largely
because its already been hashed, many many times in many many forums,
for at least 20 years. But to set the record straight.    (03)

First, its not so much a mathematical solution as a linguistic one.
Linguists prefer the so-called 'case-role' representation style rather
than the many-argument one, on the grounds that it makes the
ontological (though they tend not to use that word) structure more
visible. Many domain experts report a similar effect: its often very
hard to recall, given a many-argument relation, which argument is
supposed to be which (was that B between A and C, or A between B and
C?) whereas when the arguments are explicitly labelled by role names,
things are a lot easier. Even binary relations without role names can
give trouble, c.f. the ongoing debates about the use of names in OWL/
RDF: do want to say (Bill isFatherOf Joe) or (Joe hasFather Bill)? For
sure, better not just say (Bill Father Joe) as we then have no idea
which way round it should be read. Several rule languages and some
versions of Prolog use case-role notation for similar reasons. On the
other hand, one of the tricks we have found useful in CL is to allow
very long argument sequences when these are all being treated in some
common way, eg a variadic 'not-equal' which might be used with ten
arguments to say they are all distinct.    (04)

The moral I draw from this is that it is very hard, next to
impossible, to predict ahead of time what "domain experts" will or
will not prefer. And the process of designing intuitive interfaces for
experts to use to interface with formal ontology content is an art and
a science in itself, one that we would best keep apart from ontology
engineering as far as possible. I don't mean because its not important
- it is - but because the constraints of being readable, intuitive,
easy to edit, etc., are different from the those which make a formal
ontology easy to manipulate by formal means. For example, XML makes
everything much worse for readability but is crucial for many
applications. Since the different styles of multi-argument relations
are so well understood and so easy to translate between, we should
allow various applications to use whatever form they find most useful,
rather than debate the merits and demerits of the various alternatives.    (05)

Pat H    (06)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (08)