Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:16:40 -0500
Ali,    (01)

I sympathize with you:    (02)

AH> While I realize that it is possible to reduce many higher valence
 > expressions to those with lower arity, it is unclear to me why we
 > would force this on people.    (03)

One reason is that some implementers aren't aware that there are
more efficient representations than the so-called "triple stores".
Therefore, they force the knowledge engineers and subject-matter
experts to live with their choice of a clumsy notation.    (04)

But sometimes there may be theoretical reasons for emphasizing
certain kinds of relations.  For example, linguists often use
'case relations' or 'thematic roles' to relate a verb to the
noun phrases that represent participants in the action.
For example, consider the sentence    (05)

    Sue gives a child a new book.    (06)

A simple triadic relation gives(x,y,z) could be used to relate
Sue (x) to a child (y) and a new book (z).    (07)

But in linguistics, it's often convenient to represent the
relations between the participants and the act of giving by
dyadic relations of agent, beneficiary, and theme:    (08)

    There is an act w of type giving, x is the agent of w,
    y is the beneficiary of w, and z is the theme of w.    (09)

If you have a logic that supports n-adic relations, you can write
rules to map one representation to the other as needed.    (010)