Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 00:33:19 -0600

On Jan 30, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Schiffel, Jeffrey A wrote:    (01)

>> From: Patrick Cassidy
>
>> In the RDB's I have seen, each field (column in a table) often
> (typically?)
>> represents one relation on the type represented by the table, so the
> number
>> of columns does not have any relation to the arity of the relations
> used.
>> Two or more columns can be used together to represent higher-arity
>> relations, but they may be quite independent.
>
> I'm not certain I know what you mean. In an entity-relationship isn't
> the relation the entire row, not just one column? The entity is the
> name
> of the table. The names of the columns are the identifiers of an n-ary
> relation. Each row is an instance of the n-ary relation. Or am I
> missing
> something?
>    (02)

Thats one way to think about it. But another way is that each column
of the table is a binary (!) relation holding between the table and
the rows, which are entities. This is the same switcheroo which takes
an n-ary relation into a collection of binary 'case roles' (think
column names) in the format beloved of linguists. Basically, its the
rather trite observation that a 2-d table can be thought of either as
a vector of rows or a vector of columns. Both ways work.    (03)

PatHayes    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)