Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:20:06 -0600

On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:13 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> Ed,
>
> I just want to point out an important class of common triads.
>
>> Examination of the dependencies in a ternary or quaternary
>> relationship often reveals an intermediate object that has
>> semantics and should actually be called out in creating
>> a strong ontology for the domain in question.
>
> All the basic arithmetic operators, + - * /, take two inputs
> and generate one output.  Trying to represent simple arithmetic
> expressions with only dyadic relations creates very awkward,
> unnatural and unreadable statements.
>    (02)

Agreed, but the main problem there is treating these as relations at
all. They are functions. In passing defense of the unary/binary OWL,
no sane person would suggest using OWL properties to represent
arithmetic functions.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)