Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:16:05 -0500
Dear Frank,    (01)

When a person writes an email note (or even a book) about topic X,
it is impossible to infer what that person believes about topic Y.    (02)

 > There is a lot more out there in understanding this world and
 > human language processing than trying to describe in terms of
 > formal logic.    (03)

Of course.  I have said that in many different ways in many different
publications.  For a list of them with pointers to the recent ones, see    (04)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/    (05)

For slides of recent talks with pointers to suggested readings, see    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/    (07)

 > Moreover, you do not have to speak a language syntactically correctly
 > to get by.    (08)

That is obvious.  Saying it makes people think that you don't yet
have a strong grasp of the obvious.    (09)

 > You do not see that all the words you use are names of concepts,
 > and concepts are all abstract, there is no such thing as an
 > abstract concept and a concrete concept, etc.    (010)

If you would like to get a clearer idea of how those signs are related,
I recommend the writings of C. S. Peirce.  You can start by reading
the following paper:    (011)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/csp21st.pdf
    Peirce's Contributions to the 21st Century    (012)

 > Please, read the book entitled the Topos of Music...    (013)

It's a good book.  I have a copy of it.    (014)

I also recommend the following papers, which discuss some of the
reasons why AI systems based on formal logic have failed to achieve
true intelligence (or even a decent level of artificial intelligence):    (015)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/cogcat.htm
    Categorization in cognitive computer science    (016)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/pursuing.pdf
    Pursuing the goal of language understanding    (017)