Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:45:32 +0700
Hi Matthew    (01)

relationships (hence the logic they rely upon for their existence)
exist irrespective of the formalism they are expressed with
the formalism is merely a representation
even natural language relies on logic for its structure    (02)

p    (03)

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Paola,
>
>> >I do not see how it gets you to saying ontology includes logic.
>>
>> It looks to me that logic is inherent, intrinsic to what there is,
>> therefore to ontology, as a description of it. I am not sure
>> 'includes' is the best way to say it, but surely, its part of the glue
>> that builds the conceptual scaffolding
>
> [MW] This would be true if logic was the only possible formalism that
> ontology could be expressed in, but as I explained earlier it isn't. At
> least category theory is an alternative.
>>
>> If you take out the logic that makes up the relationships between all
>> the elements and components of an ontology, all we end up with is a
>> pile of conceptual scrap
>
> [MW] First, I don't think that is true, but if you take logic away you have
> to consider what you are going to use to express what is commonly expressed
> in logic, but there are other options than logic.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Information  Junction
> Tel: +44 560 302 3685
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>
> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

Paola Di Maio

Forthcoming    (06)

i-Semantics 2009, 2 - 4 September 2009, Graz, Austria. www.i-semantics.tugraz.at    (07)