Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:47:00 -0000
Hi Paola,    (01)

> > A less simple answer would have to do with the relationship between
> logic
> > (inference) and ontology. Traditionally logic studies inference and
> ontology
> > existence. (I realise that in CS ontology (or as Pat called it WC3
> ontology)
> > inference plays a big part.)
> >

> it strikes me that you write this as I am working on it
> (its either echelon, or colletive consciouness, or both)
>
> however, I cannot see the sharp distinction between the two, cause
> ontology (existence) includes logic in its axioms
> therefore I am lead to conclude that logic is part of ontology
>
> if we consider axioms (and constraints) necessary to inference
> then the two are dependent
>
> isnt that so?    (02)

I must apologise, I am afraid I do not understand your comments.
I do not see how "ontology (existence) includes logic in its axioms".
Ontology, in the philosophical sense I am using it, is a set of things. It
does not have axioms, though I suppose one could argue axioms are objects in
some (mathematical or logical) ontology. I suspect we are using terms in
different ways.    (03)

Also, I was not arguing for there being no relationship between ontology and
logic. A hundred years ago people like Russell and Husserl saw logic as
being the language that could be used to describe an ontology. However, over
the last 100 years or so, the notion of logic has been refined to the study
of inference. I suspect there is a relationship, but have not managed to
find much material describing it, so if anyone knows of some ...    (04)

Regards,
Chris    (05)