Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:35:12 +0700
Hi Chris    (01)

> So your ontology contains relationships.    (02)

and yours too....    (03)

> Do the dependency relationships (as relationships) also have some "logic
>they rely upon for their existence"?
> And is there an infinite regression or does this stop somewhere?    (04)

I dont know, but as relationships are logical expressions
I cant see where this would stop, although I think there may be some
exceptions, I d have to think a bit (busy now)
>    (05)

> The reason I ask is that I prefer an ontology where relationship only depend
> upon what they relate - without any need for a logic.    (06)

any form of dependency is a relationship, thus relies on logic too
you may acnowledge that, or ignore that, and probably that would make
not much difference either    (07)

> I am not sure how much this is a question of taste and 'de gustibus non est
> disputandum'. For me the simplicity of not needing the logic works.    (08)

however, i agree that for simplicity you may chose not to
represent/express/expose some parts of the logic
in your ontology, although that might compromise some of the validity
and integrity of the ontology itself, imho    (09)

you may be able to manage that partiality within a closed system    (010)

and hay, this is a free world :-)
whatever works for you......    (011)

PDM    (012)

>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Matthew West
>> <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Dear Paola,

>> glue
>> >
>> > [MW] This would be true if logic was the only possible formalism that
>> > ontology could be expressed in, but as I explained earlier it isn't.
>> At
>> > least category theory is an alternative.

>> all
>> >
>> > [MW] First, I don't think that is true, but if you take logic away
>> you have
>> > to consider what you are going to use to express what is commonly
>> expressed
>> > in logic, but there are other options than logic.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Matthew West
>> > Information  Junction
>> > Tel: +44 560 302 3685
>> > Mobile: +44 750 3385279
>> > matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>> >
>> > This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in
>> England
>> > and Wales No. 6632177.
>> > Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
>> > Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

>> --
>> Paola Di Maio
>> **********************************