Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:31:09 -0000
Dear Paola,    (01)

I saw the word "logical" here, but no logic (plenty of maths though).    (02)

> > Logic is just one formalism that what
> > relationships are can be expressed in. Logic is not inherently built
> in to
> > them, only what can be expressed in logic (or other means).
>
> Matthew, the point that I am putting across is simply that
> ontological relations are logical statements    (03)

[MW] In this case I think logical was being used rather as in the sense of
"logical data model" as opposed to, say a physical data mode. It has
nothing to do with  logic as such.    (04)

If you mean the same sort of thing as this, then you are using logical in a
somewhat vacuous sense, and with no particular relationship to logic itself.    (05)

Could you give some examples of non-logical relationships for instance?    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (09)