Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:49:29 +0700
Ali,    (01)

> My point (and the one I think Paolo was making) is that while the physical
> relationship between your desk and computer is independent of logic, your
> account of the fact that your desk and computer are in said relation appeals
> to some form of, if not logic, then coherency.    (02)

yes I intended that, but also something else
this is what I mean    (03)

1. that the computer on the desk is a spatial relationship caused by
the function. I dont know how to call this, but I would call it
'logical', as opposed to the computer being place under the table or
in a waterfountain. but maybe there is a better way of defining this
inherent, implied relationship between two things .    (04)

2, as you point above, logic is a way of representing, expressing,
communicating, capturing the relationship, which can be done using
different formalism    (05)

and yes, natural language is a formalism (in reply to PH)    (06)

# [noun] A formalism is a means to represent the rules used in the
establishment of a models of linguistic knowledge.
portal.bibliotekivest.no/terminology.htm    (07)

# mathematics, philosophy of There are a few different versions of
formalism. Perhaps the simplest and most straightforward is
metamathematical ...
www.britanica.com/EBchecked/topic/213780/formalism    (08)

and yes, category theory relies on logic (but is contrasted to set theory)
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/category-theory/    (09)

PDM    (010)