Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:42:16 -0600
At 1:28 AM -0500 1/25/08, John F. Sowa wrote:
>Pat,
>
>The direction of research, pure and applied, has always
>been affected by popular fads, personalities, and sources
>of funding.
>
>>  I think the era of Eddington-sized personalities being able
>>  to bend an entire field is now over in the hard sciences.
>
>I see no evidence to support that claim.  Chomsky certainly
>distorted the direction of research in linguistics for over
>40 years.  (Of course, one might call linguistics a "soft"
>science.)    (01)

Yes, I do. In fact I think it hardly qualifies as
science at present. (How does one empirically
refute a linguistic theory?)    (02)

>  But even in physics and mathematics, the people
>who get into prominent positions have a strong effect on
>what papers get accepted, what colleagues get promoted,
>what publications get cited, what projects get funded, etc.
>
>One might claim that good ideas eventually get accepted, but
>sometimes that may take many decades.  In physics, for example,
>geometric algebras are now widely accepted for their power and
>generality.  But they were published in the late 19th century
>by Grassmann and Clifford and were ignored for over a century.
>
>David Hestenes is the physicist who revived them and demonstrated
>their value for simplifying and generalizing the formulation of
>a wide range of physical theories.  See his talk when he was
>awarded the Oersted medal (at the age of 70):
>
>     http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/pdf/OerstedMedalLecture.pdf
>
>Geometric algebras are now commonly used as the basic math for
>doing string theory and other advanced representations.  But
>for a period of about 20 years, Hestenes had a very hard time
>in getting his papers accepted for publication.    (03)

I think you are making my point, rather than the one I was arguing against.    (04)

Pat    (05)

>John

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)