Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:46:34 +0700
Matthew    (01)

it all depends what is fruitful, which is a very relative term, unless
constrained
(what may fruitful for you, may be fruitless for me)    (02)

For me fffp is necessary to fruitfulness, whatever way you are going
to define that    (03)

We can start the controlled vocabulary for this forum anytime you
think its needed
:-)    (04)

cheers
PDM    (05)

On Jan 24, 2008 5:32 PM,  <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Paola,
>
> > > I know from experience that software engineers often try to
> > build their
> > > artefacts to accommodate potential future changes. How to
> > do this is an
> > > active area of debate.
> >
> >  - we got to this point a few months back
> > are there patterns of change?
> > time is one of the factors that determines patterns of change
> >

> > > If you want to argue that fruitfulness is not yet well
> > understood - I would
> >
> > > Anyway, the point I wished to make is that providing an
> > artefact that will
> > > somehow support requirements that I have not yet specified
> > is recognised as
> > > an important consideration by software engineers and has
> > its counterpart
> > > 'fruitfulness' in science.
> > >

> > important point too - fruitfulness, or at least 'fitness for purpose'
> > if the fruitfulness debate is  not going to be conclusive quickly
> > enough
>
> MW: No. "fit-for-purpose" is the enemy of fruitfulness. Fit-for-purpose
> says that it is good enough if it does just what I need and no more.
> Fruitfulness is about the unexpected usefulness that was not part of
> the original purpose.
>
> MW: By the way, fruitfulness is not more expensive (in my experience)
> than fit-for-purpose. It is mostly about the way you approach problem
> solving.
>

> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
> Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
> Registered in England and Wales
> Registered number: 621148
> Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom
>
> Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
> Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.shell.com
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

Paola Di Maio