Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:41:44 -0600
At 4:33 PM -0500 1/23/08, Patrick Cassidy wrote:
Yes, if possible, at least some critical mass of ontologists should adopt
some model and notation for time representation that can serve as a standard
for those who do not have some inconsistent alternative that they feel
strongly about.  I would expect that most potential users don't care about
the details of an ontology standard as long as it serves to provide some
degree of wide interoperability, and can serve their own purposes.  That is
why I think it is a good idea to include in a foundation ontology all of the
elements that anyone wants that are not logically inconsistent with others.

That does not define one possibility, however. Being inconsistent with is symmetrical. If my time ontology is inconsistent with yours, which of us gets to be in the single accepted standard?

For individual applications, one only has to use the parts one needs, but as
long as there are translations to other views ("bridging axioms"),
applications using that foundation can be semantically interoperable.

The best way to achieve interoperability is to agree on a minimal useful ontology, which supports the concepts and reasonings that everyone can agree on, and leaves room for a number of (possibly inconsistent) extensions. So for example is time discrete, dense or continuous? There simply is no possibility of agreement here, and the alternatives cannot be made consistent with one another. So the agreed common ontology should be carefully and painstakingly agnostic on the matter. Similarly for questions like: Is time infinite?  Can intervals be infinite?  Is there a point at infinity? Do intervals contain their endpoints (ie are they open or closed?) All of these have been investigated fairly thoroughly and their relationships are understood quite well. (BTW, a fabulous reference here, though now rather old, is van Bentham's book "The logic of time", Reidel 1983.)

It was this notion that was the genesis of the "Time Catalog" and the reason for its format, and I know that Jerry Hobbs used a similar methodology when designing OWL-Time.

PatH.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.